Budva is a city on the coast of Montenegro, whose creation dates back to the fourth century BC. It is well known legend about the origin of the city,
about Cadmus and Harmony, the first inhabitants of the city, by whose bull (Butua) Budva was named. Budva town was inhabited by the Illyrians, Greeks, Romans ...
who built and shaped the city just like the waves formed bays and beaches of Budva Riviera. Most of the old buildings that still exist in Budva are Byzantine origin.
The most important buildings are the church of St. John from the seventh century, the Church of Notre Dame (Santa Maria in Punta, from 840.)
and the Church of the Holy Trinity from 1804. The church of St. Nicholas was rebuilt in 1864. and it is located on the island, near Budva,
which bears the same name as the Church. Monastery Podmaine from the XV century is located on the hill above Budva and was built during the period of the dynasty Crnojevica.
In the Monastery stayed and died Bishop Danilo, and was visited by Petar II Petrovic Njegos many times. In the municipality of Budva there are four fortresses:
Citadel which is located in the Old City, was built before 840.;
Fortress Kosmac, Brajici, built in the nineteenth century as a border fortress between Montenegro and Austria-Hungary;
Fortress Mogren, which is located near the Old Town, overlooking the beach Mogren built in 1860;
Besides being known for exceptional old buildings Budva today is also a modern tourist center.
Beautiful beaches, high standard hotels, restaurants, cafes, bars, discos, as well as playgrounds for children make Budva the leader in tourist offer of Montenegro.