Perast

  • Our Lady of the Rock
  • Our Lady of the Rock
  • Museum of Perast
  • Museum of Perast
  • Church of St. John the Baptist
  • Port in Perast
  • Street in Perast
  • Our Lady of the Rosary
  • Our Lady of the Rosary
  • Our Lady of the Rosary
  • Street in Perast
  • Basketball terrain in Perast
  • hotel Conte in Perast
  • St. Nicholas Church
  • St. Nicholas Church
  • Restaurant Admiral in Perast
  • Bizetina
  • Square in Perast
  • Street in Perast
  • Church of St. John the Baptist
  • Street in Perast
  • Orthodox Church of the Nativity of the Virgin
  • Square in Perast
  • Church of Our Lady of Carmen
  • Church of Our Lady of Carmen
  • Port in Perast

Perast is a peaceful and culturally rich town at the foot of Mount St. Ilija (Elijah). The architecture is mainly from the Baroque period (from XVII and XVIII century). Town boasts many famous palaces and the most famous are: Bujovic Palace (from 1694.), Sestokrilovic Palace (from XVIII century) and Bronza (Bronze) Palace. Apart from that there are another 15 palaces, each with its own story and history. Perast is world famous as the hometown of famous seafarers. The most famous one was the Marko Martinovic (1663.-1716.). Sailor and mathematician, founder of the first Marine Maritime College in this city, in which the first disciples were Russian nobility back in 1698. Bujovic Palace, the work of the Venetian architect Giovanni Battista Fontana, today is a museum. Except of the town on the coast, Perast encompasses two islands too: ISLE OF OUR LADY OF THE ROCK (OSTRVO GOSPE OD SKRPJELA) is an artificial island built by sailors of Perast after a shipwreck when they found the icon of the Virgin Mary, which is now in the church on the island. Every year on the sunset of July 22, an event called fašinada, when local residents take their boats and throw rocks into the sea, widening the surface of the island, takes place. ST GEORGE ISLAND, which is a natural island, and on the island there is a Benedictine Monastery from the ninth century that keeps the mortal remains of Fr Frane and Katica, Bokas Romeo and Juliet.